As a Macaulay Scholar, you will receive a tuition* scholarship, which funds four years of full-time undergraduate study, excluding fees. The Macaulay scholarship is drawn from a combination of sources: CUNY, TAP, City/State scholarships/grants, and tuition-only scholarships you may have received. The following types of scholarships/aid will be applied towards your tuition bill: TAP, NYS HESC Scholarships, CUSTA, NYS TAP waiver, NYC Council Merit Scholarship, and tuition-only scholarships received.

✽ Students must meet CUNY NYS residency requirements for in state tuition to receive the full tuition scholarship

The deadline for completing the FAFSA and TAP is May 15 each year for the upcoming academic year. Failure to complete the FAFSA and/or TAP application will result in the tuition scholarship being rescinded, and the student will be retroactively charged for tuition for the entire year.


You are responsible for all fees associated with CUNY and Macaulay Honors College, including, but not limited to, Student Activity, USS, Consolidated Service, Material, Technology, Change-of-Program, and late fees.

A description of fees charged by the University can be found here (Look under Fee Tables).

Tuition Liability Charges

As a rule, students who drop/withdraw from one or more classes after the deadline for receiving a full tuition refund will be liable for all charges, including tuition. If you have any questions about this policy, contact your Honors Advisor.

Summer Session Tuition Policy

In general, the Macaulay Honors College encourages students to pursue internship and research opportunities, study abroad, or service programs during the summer. However, there are some instances in which summer course work may be appropriate and will be funded:

  • If you accumulate fewer than 30 credits at the end of your freshman year (including AP credits).
  • If your major requires more than 120 credits and you need to take summer courses in order to graduate within four years.
  • If you want to devote more time to difficult or unusual courses.

With approval from your Macaulay Advisor, Macaulay Honors College will fund up to 8 credits during each summer, starting after completion of the first year. Students registered for more than eight credits will be responsible for paying the tuition balance. Effective Summer 2015

Winter Session Tuition Policy

  • One winter session class of up to 4 credits will be covered by the tuition waiver, provided that the course is offered at one of CUNY’s senior campuses and that the student obtains honors advisor approval.
  • Macaulay Scholars should also obtain honors advisor approval for winter study abroad plans. For Macaulay Scholars studying abroad, one class of up to 4 credits will be covered by the tuition waiver. Macaulay scholars taking more than one class, or more than 4 credits abroad, must submit the Study Abroad Tuition Policy Exception Form to obtain prior approval from the Macaulay Associate Director of Scholarships and Grants in order to have the additional tuition covered.

Financial Aid

Even though the Macaulay Scholarship covers undergraduate tuition*, all students are still required to fill out the FAFSA form each year.

New York State residents are also required to fill out the TAP form each year. The deadline for filing FAFSA and TAP is May 15 for each year. If you do not submit these forms each year, you will lose your University scholarship and may jeopardize your eligibility for other federal, state, and campus-based aid.

The FAFSA is made available on January 1st for each upcoming academic year and may be submitted online at Immediately after completing the FAFSA, follow the appropriate link on the FAFSA confirmation page to complete your TAP application (if you are a New York State resident). You may also complete the TAP application by going directly to

Macaulay Honors College does not have a designated college code for the FAFSA and TAP applications. You should supply the college code that corresponds to the CUNY College to which you have applied. For example, if you applied to Macaulay at Brooklyn College you would use the Brooklyn College school code on your financial aid application. Click here for a list of all CUNY college codes.

✽ Students must meet CUNY NYS residency requirements for in state tuition to receive the full tuition scholarship.

Additional Financial Support Opportunities

Macaulay Scholars should know there are other types of financial assistance in addition to FAFSA and TAP.

College Scholarships

Check on your campus and speak to your Macaulay Honors Advisor for information about additional campus-based scholarships for Macaulay Scholars.

Named Scholarships

The Macaulay Honors College Opportunities Fund--which supports your research, internship, and service experiences--comes from a variety of individual, business, and foundation sources. We also provide named scholarships to outstanding students and offer opportunities to meet the donors who make the unique aspects of a Macaulay education possible.

While there is no additional money associated with these honorific scholarships, to receive one is a distinction that will remain on the student's permanent record. Students often add these named scholarships to their resumes.

Prestigious Scholarships and Fellowships

A list compiled by CUNY that lists several different prestigious scholarships and fellowships by discipline. Click here to see the list.

Scholarship Search

Provided by CUNY this scholarship search website allows you to view CUNY and New York State scholarship opportunities, as well as various scholarship search engines. Click here to start your search.

Graduate Coursework

Students who register for graduate courses may be billed at the graduate rate of tuition. In these instances check your bill for tuition charges. You will be responsible for tuition charges that exceed the amount of your full tuition scholarship.

Please check with your home campus Financial Aid Office regarding the impact of graduate coursework on your federal and state aid.


1. Is there a fee to file the FAFSA or TAP applications?
No, there is no charge to access or complete the FAFSA or TAP application. Steer clear of any websites that ask for a fee to complete either application.
2.  Do I have to be eligible for financial aid to be eligible for the Macaulay Scholarship?
No, the scholarship is not dependent on your status for financial aid.
3. Why is the FAFSA and TAP application required?
The information from the FAFSA and TAP application allows us to create a financial aid record at CUNY whereby the scholarship funds are allocated to your tuition bill and the Opportunities Fund can be issued to you.  In addition, Macaulay offers internal scholarships that require us to review income information provided on the FAFSA and TAP application.

4. How can I access the TAP application?
The TAP application can be accessed on the FAFSA confirmation page. Click on “Start Your State Application.”
If you miss the TAP link on the FAFSA application, you will be contacted by the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) once your FAFSA has been processed, and given the opportunity to file the TAP application electronically. Once your FAFSA is processed you may also apply for TAP directly at
5. What are the FAFSA and TAP School Codes?
These codes determine which College(s) will receive your FAFSA and TAP application information.
6. What is the Macaulay school code for the FAFSA and TAP applications?
Macaulay does not have a designated school code. Use the school code for the Macaulay campus you plan on attending (Baruch College, Brooklyn College, City College, College of Staten Island, Hunter College, John Jay College, Lehman College, or Queens College). See the chart below for a list of school codes.

FAFSA and TAP School Codes

College Name

  FAFSA Code

 NY State TAP/HESC Code

Baruch College



Brooklyn College



City College



College of Staten Island



Hunter College



John Jay College



Lehman College



Queens College



7. How many Colleges can I list on the FAFSA?
You may list up to 10 Colleges on your FAFSA.

8. How many Colleges can I list on the TAP application?
You may list only one college on the TAP application. In order for your College of attendance to receive your TAP application information you must have it listed on the application.

9.  I am trying to complete the TAP application but it won't let me access the application?
In order complete the TAP application your FAFSA must be processed. Check your FAFSA for errors and confirm that you and your parents have signed the form electronically.

10. I received a TAP award. Why is my TAP being used to cover my tuition costs?
TAP is a tuition-only grant and can be used solely to cover tuition costs. Therefore, your  Macaulay Tuition Scholarship is reduced by any TAP received.

11. Do I have to report the Opportunities Fund grant to the IRS?
Section 117 of the Internal Revenue Code requires that students report any scholarships or fellowships that are not used for tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment required for courses of instruction. Please refer to IRS publication 970 ( on scholarships and fellowships. Consult with a tax professional to determine whether you should report the Macaulay Scholarship to the IRS.

12.  Am I responsible for any costs related to the courses I take a CUNY?
Yes, Macaulay does not cover the cost of fees charged by your campus. You are responsible for all fees associated with CUNY and Macaulay Honors College, including, but not limited to, Student Activity, USS, Accelerated Study, Consolidated Service, Material, Technology, Change-of-Program, and late fees.

13. What is the cost for fees?
Please refer to your campus Bursar webpage for a complete list of fee charges.

14. What do the fee charges cover?
Please refer to your campus Bursar webpage for a complete list of fee charges.

Emergency Services
Macaulay Honors College Emergency Fund Application Form

For questions pertaining to the tuition and financial aid, contact the Office of Scholarships and Grants, at


For questions pertaining to the tuition and financial aid, contact the Office of Scholarships and Grants, at