In addition to receiving a full undergraduate tuition scholarship, as a Macaulay Scholar you can apply to access a $7500 grant from the Macaulay Opportunities Fund that can be applied to a wide range of programs in New York City and around the world. Supported by the generous contributions of corporations, foundations, and individual donors, these funds will enhance your academic experience and facilitate your intellectual development. The Opportunities Fund is a valuable learning tool, assisting you in connecting your academic experience to your future life and career. Additionally, the grant application process will help train you for applying to prestigious fellowships, scholarships, and graduate and professional schools.
What does the Opportunities Fund grant support?
You may use the Opportunities Fund to complete part of your college program in another country or, in certain circumstances, in another part of the United States
Internships / Undergraduate Research
You may use the Opportunities Fund to cover the cost of an internship or undergraduate research project that is unpaid and for which you do not receive academic credit.
You may request funding for credit-bearing and paid internships/fieldwork that takes place away or abroad.
Service Learning and Service Programs
You may apply to use the Opportunities Fund to participate in a project consisting of national/international volunteering or a credit-bearing academic course that combines academic instruction with a service component.
You may apply for funding to attend one approved academic conference even if you are participating only as an observer. A second conference may be funded if you are an active contributor.
Honors Project Experiences
You may use the Opportunities Fund for travel, fieldwork, and other activities related to your honors research, senior thesis, or senior project.
You may request funding for professional development activities such as attending workshops or courses relating to your academic/professional goals that are not offered at any of the CUNY Colleges.
You may request funding for graduate and professional school application fees.
Licensing and Graduate Education Exams
You may request funding for exams, such as GREs, or LSATs, exam review courses, or licensing exams relating to your major that are taken during your tenure as a University Scholar.
Budget Sheet Tips
This section is intended to assist you in completing the budget page of the application.
- Program Fees: Write “included in program fee” if applicable or “self-pay” if you elect to cover an expense on your own or “n/a” for any item that doesn’t apply to you.
*Tuition: If your program includes tuition in the program fee, subtract the CUNY in-state tuition cost. NOTE: For non-CUNY programs, subtract the CUNY in-state tuition rate from your program’s tuition cost. If tuition costs remain (tuition differential) you can include it in your program fees.
- Housing:If included in the program fee, write “included in program fee.” If not included in the program fee, write the amount here. · Airfare: Don’t rely on the quote/estimation from your program flyer. Get one roundtrip quote from online (e.g.Expedia). If you get multiple fares, write the average amount.
- Meals: Write the “# of meals X # of days” beneath the line. If your program advertises that it provides meals, adjust the per diem accordingly.
The meal per diem is as follows:
- Europe: $15 per meal/max of $45 per day
- US and other Countries: $10 per meal/max of $30 per day
- Receipts for meals are NOT collected.
- Insurance: This refers to international CUNY CISI health/travel insurance, which provides additional coverage beyond a normal health insurance policy. Write “included in program fee” if it’s included.
- Ground Transportation: This applies to transportation to/from the airport both in the departure city and the return city. Search online for local roundtrip taxi, train, or bus fares.
- Documentation: Every fee on your budget sheet should be accounted for in your supporting documents. Highlight costs and fees on your supporting documents. If your parent/guardian paid on your behalf, highlight the name and indicate how this person is related to you.
- Privacy: If you use a credit card statement for payment confirmation: to protect the card number blacken it and photocopy it.
University of Oxford, London School of Economics, Rhodes University, University of Cambridge, Colegio de España, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Shanghai University, Bar-Ilan University, and the Arabic Language Institute.
Argentina, Australia, Brazil, China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Spain, South Africa, Switzerland, and Thailand.
Macaulay Students Blog from Abroad
Click here for an archive of posts from Macaulay Honors College students' studies away and abroad from December 2008 through September 2012. Please read and enjoy!.
United Nations Department of Public Information, Acadia National Park, American Ballet Theatre, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Feminist Press at CUNY, Pew Institute for Ocean Science, and Cornell Medical Center.
Service Program Locations
Ghana, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala Honduras, Israel, New Orleans and South Dakota
For questions pertaining to the Opportunities Fund, contact the Scholarship Coordinator, Sasha De Silva, at 212-729-2940 or Sasha.DeSilva@mhc.cuny.edu